Thursday, June 15, 2006

Thoughts


Was watching Project Runway last night. I always love fashion, so Im trying hard not to miss a single episope especially I had night class on that day. And for some reason, yesterday's episope had leave an impact on me.

What was special about the episope was that the designers have to work in a group of 3. This is when you can see either they will work hand in hand or to kill each other. My all time favour Daniel Franco was evicted for being too 'safe'. I have to confess that hes lack of creativity but what I admire most is his attitude towards his work and the competition.

He dare to admit his mistake and he left the competition with grace and dignity. How many contestants can have such charisma??

Sometimes by looking at him, I felt that I could relate to him in certain way. Still remember when I was in Australia studying architecture, I really had a hard time pleasing my tutors. I always thought I am creative. Friends do compliment that I dare to dress differently and creatively. Perhaps the environment over there had proved me wrong.

My tutors always tell me that my design is 'safe'. Just like what the judges commented on Daniel. I couldnt say I do not have the passion to design, maybe my passion is not strong enough, maybe Im not talented, maybe, maybe..... till now, I still couldnt figure out what had gone wrong.

In the end, I chose to give up. I always tell myself the environment kills my passion. Well,thats just an excuse im giving myself just to get away with it. Deep down, I know that Im just lacking of exposure and knowledge in my field.

When I read the biography of all the contestants, I realised that not only they had the passion and skill, but one thing in common about them is that they have years of experience and exposure. With these factors, it helps to inspire their design and at the same time, it helps them to move so far.

As for Daniel, I wouldnt say he is not talented. He was away from fashion industry for 5 years just to help out in family business. I figure that may be the reason why he got kicked out so soon for not being in touch in fashion world for so long.

As for me, Im still not sure if designing is my main passion. I know where my problem lies. Not sure if I will ever wanting to continue what I used to give up. A few of my close friends told me that I will strive if I proceed to design clothes instead of building. Are they right about this? Im not sure, coz I still don't know myself.

No comments: